Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Twitterpated

So, the second #MTBoS mission is all about Twitter.  After reading and hearing about tweeting this and tweeting that for a while, a couple of years ago I decided to give it a try.

Of course, I didn't really get it.  It seemed so silly to me that people would tell the world what they were doing every minute of every day.  I didn't have a smart phone (still don't...gasp!) and I didn't really have time to log onto my computer several times a day and tweet about what I had for dinner or what crazy thing some celebrity was doing.

Then, there was the whole "Nobody cares what I have to say" mentality, too.  (That's also why it took me so long to start blogging and why I quit blogging after only a couple of posts last year.)

Then, low and behold, I discovered that I can chat with other people who want to talk about the things I want to talk about.  Those #hashtag thingys really changed my perspective.  I started searching for all sorts of things and found #mathchat, #mschat, #edchat, just to name a few.  After my first #mathchat, I was completely and totally 

TWITTERPATED.

Of course, even though I loved the possibility of being able to connect with other educators out there who are trying to do the same things I am, my schedule got the best of me and I never seemed to be able to make it to those chats.  So, I kind of stalked Twitter from time to time, taking advantage of other Tweeps posted resources and ideas.

Now, a couple years later, I've decided that it's time to give back and that I truly NEED Twitter.  As the ONLY math teacher in my middle school...yes, we are very small...it is difficult to feel like I am up to speed when there is nobody else for me to bounce ideas off of or get resources from.  Being the entire math department has its perks (I get to do things my way every day and there are never any disagreements at our meetings!) but being able to connect with others just about math isn't one of them.  

And that is an important piece to growing as an educator.  Collaborating and sharing resources with others who do what you do.

So thanks to #MTBoS, I am now focusing a little more energy on connecting with others via Twitter.  And, in the past few days I've already made some #smallworld discoveries.  It's time for me to stop lurking and start sharing.

So follow me @tarheelmommy95 if you want.  Hopefully, a tweet or two of mine will be just what you are looking for.

Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I had my realization about the benefit of hashtags this week, so I definitely sympathize. And props to you for stepping back up to the plate and connecting!

    ReplyDelete