Saturday, October 19, 2013

Creating Collaborators Part 1: Celebrate Mistakes

Thanks, again, to Kevin Olson of Blogstorm for the idea for this series.  He asked if I had any strategies or systems for getting students to share ideas and critique each others work in response to my Patterns, Patterns Everywhere post for the #MTBoS challenge.  The prequel provides a bit of background about how I ended up in middle school and the beginning of my journey toward facilitator instead of teacher.  This post talks about how I get my students talking about math.

As I said in the prequel, I sometimes get to look out at my classroom and see students collaborating, discussing ideas, correcting misconceptions and truly engaged in the material.  At these moments I feel like the best teacher in the world!

I don't want to misrepresent my classroom.  These moments do not happen every class or every day. Sometimes they don't even happen once in a week, but they do happen.   

So, how do I get my students to collaborate like this?  

The first step is getting students comfortable with the idea of sharing.  Since most middle schoolers have an intense fear of being wrong, this is no easy feat.


Starting in the 6th grade I try to get them talking.  Since most of their math classes up to this point have been quiet and independent work, most of them really don't know what to do.  Usually, they try to talk about whatever sport is in season or some crazy video game while I am fussing at them for not talking about the math.  

I really have to monitor them a lot during partner talks about math assignments and about open ended problems.  Keep them on task and talking about math instead of the millions of other topics they would rather think about.  

I ask them to partner up and discuss EVERY day.  Even if it's only talking about last night's practice for two minutes.

I also model what I want them to say and do during whole class discussions about numbers, start-ups or open ended problems and during lessons.  I make sure that I use my "math words," like saying "four and five tenths" instead of "four point five."  I ask questions out loud that I am thinking in my head and I draw models and write little notes to myself all over my white boards.  I let them catch me making mistakes.

Most importantly, I challenge their ideas and their solutions in a constructive and non-judgmental way.  And, I insist that they tell me those ideas even when they think they are wrong.  Every day, we talk and talk about what they tried and what didn't work.  They try to explain to each other why those ideas didn't work and I fill in the gaps when those explanations are complete or correct.

I tell them every day that I want them to make mistakes.  And I celebrate my students when they share what didn't work.  Why?  Making errors means they are trying.  Sharing mistakes means they are contributing to the learning of themselves and others.  They are getting over their fear of being wrong.  

Slowly but surely, those squirrelly 11 and 12 year olds begin to come around.  

Most of the time, I don't really see 6th graders collaborating effectively on their own.  Even toward the end of the year.  I think they just aren't developmentally ready yet.  But, they do start to get the idea and, with a little bit of direction from me, they get used to talking in math class.  About math.

I am lucky in that I have the unique opportunity of teaching my students for all three years of middle school. 

What I have noticed over the past couple of years is that, if I can stay the course, these same students grow into 8th graders that can effectively communicate their mathematical ideas, work together to solve complicated problems and learn from each other's mistakes.  They aren't afraid to try and they are able to prove each other wrong and convince others they are right.

Are all my 8th graders able to do this?  Of course not.  But all of them are more participatory than they were as 6th graders and I am perfectly fine with baby steps in the right direction.

I really think that this is the thing I am most proud of in my teaching.  Creating an environment in my classroom where my students feel safe enough to be wrong and confident enough to try.  They may not master all the math, but they know it's okay to make mistakes and it's important to work together.

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment