Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Patterns, Patterns Everywhere!

This week's #MTBoS mission is to write about a favorite open ended problem that I use in my math class.  I have thought about his idea for a few days and while I really don't have one favorite problem, I decided that I would write about a favorite type of problem....finding and expressing patterns.

One thing I love to do is give my middle school students a seemingly simple pattern, like this,


and then ask a variety of questions.  Sometimes, I let my students ask the questions instead.

I might begin with the obvious and build in complexity:
  • How many squares in the next figure? the 10th?
  • What is the area of the next figure? the 10th?
  • What is the perimeter of the next figure? the 10th?
  • If each unit square is 2 feet long (or 5 feet or 1/2 foot) what is the area/ perimeter of the next figure?
By the time I have exhausted the possiblities for whichever line of questioning I focused on I am ready to lay the big question on them...
  • What if I asked you to find the 100th figure?
Since the main strategy for most of my students involves counting, they usually have to pick their chins off the floor at this point because they do not want to continue their data tables all the way to 100 or 1000 or 752 or whatever crazy big number I decide to throw at them.  So, it's back to the drawing board to design a new strategy and look for new relationships in the data.  

It usually doesn't take very long for a few to start seeing the big picture and trying to explain to others in their groups what kinds of patterns they discovered.  Eventually, we end up with a few different relationships that all come out to the same answer and, depending on which grade level I have at the time, I either lead them to an appropriate equation or ask them to translate their relationships into equations that anyone can use to find any of the figures.

I am embarassed to say that the first time I tried this "What about the 100th?" was kind of by accident.  I needed an extension for a group of quick finishers.  I knew I didn't want to find something else for them to do, and I was trying to create a culture of persistent problem solving, so the question just kind of popped into my head and I ran with it.  Not only were they able to generalize a model, but they had fun doing it.

Now, I try to give my students a similar type of problem pretty often.  We don't always spend a lot of class time on it, but they are practicing a pretty important skill while having fun.

And now, for a little extra...

I know we are only supposed to write about one of the prompts this week, but I really want to take a moment to share what I love about my classroom, too.  I teach at a K-8 charter school with one class per grade level...our max enrollment is 180 and in the middle school we have no more than 60 students. 

Because of our smallness, I have the unique experience of teaching my students for their entire middle school careers.  That's right, folks.  When I get those little guys as 6th graders, I get to keep them until they go to high school!  That means that I really get to know my students as math learners and as people.  I get to watch them grow (many times from Kindergarten all the way through) into independent thinkers who are ready to tackle the world.

I am so proud of our little school that really feels more like a family than a school.  I get to leave my house each day and go to a place that feels more like home than work and I get to change kids attitudes toward math while I'm there.  

I know it made this post too long, but I just had to share that extra little tidbit!

Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

  1. I like how you scaffolded your questions to really build their thinking about how to discover and extend patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sometimes I think that I shouldn't, though. After reading Dan Meyer's thoughts I am tempted to just start with the 100th from the get go, but I am afraid that my students will balk at a seemingly impossible task, especially the first time they are presented with a problem like this.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great set-up at your school! I'm at a K-6 elementary, so I also find it fascinating to watch students enter in kindergarten (usually the younger sibling of a current student) and watch them grow over the years.

    I love the idea of students sharing a variety of approaches to analyze the pattern and find the answer. I'm working with teachers as an Instructional Coach to promote classroom discussions where the teacher acts more as a facilitator than the knowledge-giver. Creating systems for students to share, question, critique, and revise is very important. Have you found any particular strategies that are effective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could probably be an blog post (or series of posts) all to itself...thanks for the idea! The first hurdle is getting students to share even when they think they are wrong by creating an environment where mistakes are expected and learned from. Another important aspect is to focus on process rather than answers. I almost always allow collaboration in small groups or pairs during learning and practice.

      Our discussions are loosely based on Think-Pair-Share (although I wasn't thinking about this system as my classroom evolved) in that I usually have students think and work independently and then, depending on what we are doing, either pair up and share or go straight to whole class discussion.

      I could go on...and I am constantly tweeking the whole thing. I will work on a more detailed post with examples soon.

      Delete
  3. I think scaffolding questions are a great way to get students thinking about what they need in order to answer the overarching question, especially when you are just beginning something. Once the students begin to understand the process and what types of questions need answered before they can answer the heavy question, they will start asking themselves and you won't have to ask them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this problem solving approach. Have you seen the visualpatterns.org website that Fawn Nguyen created? There are a variety of posts I like to use with my 6th grades in the same manner you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That name sounds familiar...I am heading there right now to check it out! Thanks!

      Delete